Tender kale leaves are tossed with crispy fried rice that’s been drenched in peanut sauce to make this flavor-packed peanut butter fried rice!
Most of the time I go around with all sorts of food ideas floating in my head. Lists, meal plans, stuff to eat, stuff to blog. Yes, I think about food a lot. And unfortunately, for those who know me personally, I talk about food a lot. I also make frequent trips to the store, in order to stock up for all my planned masterpieces, sometimes having to go back repeatedly when things don’t turn out as planned.
Planning. Stocking. Cooking.
Amid all this planning, stocking, and cooking every now and then something totally random, unexpected and wonderful is born out of my kitchen. This meal is one of those things.
I didn’t want to open up by telling you guys that this was a “clean out the fridge dinner,” because there’s just something unappealing to me about thinking of a dish that way, but that is exactly what this is. It happened on one of those rare evenings when I was home alone. My boyfriend had some guy plans, so I took a yoga class and figured I’d return home and heat up a veggie burger. When I got home, as often happens after an intense yoga class, I discovered I was hungrier than anticipated. Indeed, it was time to clean out the fridge.
A few pieces of kale, some leftover rice…what did I need here? Ah, peanut butter. Peanut butter makes everything better, and in this case it did the job. The meal was so good I actually felt bad about making it all for myself. Fortunately I had leftovers and spent the following afternoon enthusiastically encouraging my boyfriend to eat them. He initially looked at me a little funny when I told him that my amazing concoction was peanut butter fried rice, but he finally gave in, and always, assented to my culinary genius. I hope you make this and do the same.
Tender kale leaves are tossed with crispy fried rice that's been drenched in peanut sauce to make this flavor-packed peanut butter fried rice!
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice
- 1/2 bunch of kale, stems removed and sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Whisk together peanut butter, ginger, soy sauce and lime juice. Set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and heat to a boil. Remove from heat and blanch kale in water for 30 seconds to one minute, until just tender. Do this in batches if needed.
- Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add rice and peanut butter mixture.
- Flip with spatula to blend, then continue cooking and flipping until rice begins to form brown, crispy spots. This should take about five minutes, but you can continue cooking as long as you like to get the rice up to your preferred level of crispness.
- Add kale and mix with rice. Remove from heat. Serve topped with peanuts, scallions and hot sauce.