This juicy summer peach sandwich is stuffed with rich and flavorful Thai peanut sauce, fresh basil, and grilled up to crispy, delicious perfection.
Know where I take most of the food pictures you see on this site? In my laundry room. I know, so glamorous right? There’s not really enough light to take a decent photo anywhere else in my house. When I first started blogging and knew zilch about photography, I spent hours frustratedly snapping away at protein bars perched on my kitchen counter not understanding why they looked gross. Live and learn.
There’s no air conditioning in my laundry room. This doesn’t seem like a big deal, but during the sunniest hours of the sweltering days of August, running back and forth between a hot oven and a sunny non-air conditioned room where I spend a good deal of time standing on chairs to get my camera to the highest (and hottest) point possible, it can be a bit much.
Thankfully, this week has been great. Mild enough to spend all the time I need standing on chairs taking food pics. I’ll always take an excuse for a quick and easy meal though, and this one was designed just for those hot days when want to make things easy on yourself. (Or maybe I made this on a warmer day last week, wanting to make things easy on myself, but whatever.)
This sandwich is ready in minutes and consists mostly of ingredients I regularly keep on hand. I say mostly, because the basil is usually growing in my backyard during the summer. Also because as much as I love peaches, I don’t tend to keep them on hand. They go so quick. It’s just not practical. But when I do buy peaches, I tend to get overly ambitious and buy the motherload of peaches, and then panic at the idea that they’ll become squishy and inedible in a day. This sandwich is just for those occasions. In fact, because the peaches get slightly cooked during grilling, you can actually get away with using peaches that are just starting to squish. Nobody will know they squished! Feed these to your family. Feed them to your kids. It’s all good! No squish complaints, I promise.
- 2 tbsp. creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. agave
- or maple syrup
- ½ tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- ½ tbsp. lime juice
- 2 slices good sandwich bread
- 1 small or ½ large peach, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- Whisk peanut sauce ingredients together in small bowl. Thin with a bit of water if desired, keeping in mind that it will soften up when grilled.
- Slather bread slices with peanut sauce, then stuff with peach slices and basil leaves.
- Coat a medium flat-bottomed skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Place sandwich into skillet and cook until browned on bottom, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on opposite side, 3-4 minutes.