This creamy pumpkin black bean soup is made with a rich coconut milk base and flavored with smoky chipotle pepper and a hint of cinnamon.
My husband and I are working our way through Game of Thrones. I know, we’re way behind normal people, but we rely on Netflix for TV shows, and pretty much work our way through one series at a time. We’re also reading each (loooooooooong) novel before watching each season in action form, so that’s slowing us down too. Anyway, you know how in house Stark they go around saying “winter is coming,” all serious like? All last month we went around our house saying “autumn is coming.” That’s our house saying, we decided. Because we pretty much devote the summer to getting excited about fall.
Oh, and if we had a house flag, the little animal on it would be a pudgy cat. We love pudgy cats as much as we love fall.
So I’ll hope you’ll excuse the abundance of pumpkin recipes coming from me (ahem, and every other food blogger in the northern hemisphere). I’ve spent a long time getting excited about this. On Game of Thrones, the summers can last for decades, and that’s how long it fells like I’ve been waiting!
You can, in fact, enjoy this one any time of year you want. That’s the beauty of canned pumpkin. I actually checked one year, and yes, it’s available in July. The pumpkin flavor is subtle too, so it wouldn’t be all that weird to eat this stuff in the middle of summer, if you’re a summer soup kind of person. The pumpkin adds a little flavor and a lot of creaminess. I threw a little bit of cinnamon in there, just to remind you that it is, in fact, autumn. I couldn’t be happier.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-14 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2-14 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1-14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra coconut milk or coconut cream
- pumpkin seeds
- hot sauce of choice
- avocado slices
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and bell pepper. Sauté until softened, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add broth, pumpkin, beans, chipotle powder, cumin and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer, lower heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend half of the mixture, either using an immersion blender or by transferring to food processor or blender, working in batches if needed. Return to pot and place over medium heat.
- Stir in coconut milk, lime juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Cook just until heated throughout. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with toppings of choice. Serve.