This flavorful garlic tofu stir-fry is made with crispy bits of pan-fried tofu served up with crispy green beans and drenched in Chinese garlic sauce.
Hey all! Happy New Year! How was your holiday? Are you ready to get started on 2016?
This New Years weekend taught me a few things about you guys. First off, it seems that vegan Chinese food is pretty darn popular with my readership, which I already knew, but really hit home last week as I was examining my top posts of last year to put this little roundup together. Secondly, you guys are ready to get started on 2016, at least as far as eating is concerned. I’m not sure if it’s because my recipes generally get categorized as healthy (i.e., New Years resolution friendly), or January is just when lots of folks get started with vegan diets or what, but every year things start to really pick up as soon as the holidays officially end.
So with that, here’s some more vegan Chinese food for you. This one is super simple, but it’s one of those Chinese restaurant items that always amazes me at how tasty it is for something so basic. My homemade version is no exception; it’s a plateful of savory, salty, garlicky goodness. It can also be nice and spicy too, if you’re down with that, and I always am, especially during the cold days of January.
If you’d like some guidance on how to get that crispy, Chinese restaurant-esque texture to your tofu, check out one of my other most popular posts from last year (make that most popular post), on how to cook crispy, delicious tofu.
- ¼ cup soy sauce (use 3 tablespoons or light soy sauce if you prefer it less salty)
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or agave
- 2 tbsp. water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained, pressed at least 15 minutes, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4-6 dried chili peppers, halved (optional)
- 3 cups fresh green beans
- cooked rice
- toasted sesame seeds
- Stir all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil and place over medium heat. Add tofu cubes in a single layer. Cook about 10 minutes, flipping once or twice during cooking to achieve browning on multiple sides. Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet and raise heat to high. Add dried chili peppers and green beans, Stir fry until green beans are tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add tofu back into skillet along with sauce. Flip a few times and cook just until sauce thickens a bit and coats tofu and green beans. Remove from heat.
- Divide onto plates with rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.