At some point during the winter I began collecting veggie burger ideas in my head. This particular recipe was the first to appear on my list. I put the idea on hold, recognizing that spring or summer might be the best time to start posting veggie burger recipes, with everyone busting out their grills and all. Before I knew it, I had a collection of enough recipes that it seemed like I’d be posting nothing but veggie burgers all summer long. So I decided to put them into a book!
I’m posting this now because I’ve conveniently gotten the book finalized just at the height of summer. Also conveniently, this occurred right around the time of my town’s campy little sci-fi celebration known as Blobfest. I didn’t get around to the whole run-screaming-out-of-a-theater thing this year. To make up for that I’ve opted to name my cookbook in honor of cheesy (or vegan, thus not so cheesy) monster movie fun. If you scope out the cover and don’t get the reference, just ignore it and make the burgers. There’s nine recipes. We’ll leave it at that.
1. Beer Soaked Tempeh Burgers
2. White Bean Broccoli Rabe Burgers
3. Tex-Mex Black Bean Burgers
4. Maple Dijon Eggplant Burgers
5. Falafel Quinoa Burgers
6. Thai Sweet Potato Burgers
7. Cauliflower Chickpea Masala Burgers
8. Roasted Garlic Tempeh Burgers
9. Balsamic Portobello Burgers
For this post I’m sharing the original piece of burger inspiration that led to the creation of the book: Cauliflower Chickpea Masala Burgers. They’re absolutely delicious, healthy and in the words of my boyfriend “like an Indian meal on a bun.”
If you want the rest of the recipes, all’s you gotta do is join my email newsletter. Sign up here and I’ll respond with a copy of the burger book. Happy grilling.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayo
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
- Whisk flax seeds together with 3 tbsp. water. Set aside and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cauliflower and sauté another 5 minutes, until cauliflower softens.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to food processor and add remaining burger ingredients, including remaining 1 tbsp. oil. Pulse until well mixed. Shape into 4 patties.
- Coat skillet with oil or cooking spray and cook patties about 5 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Stir together mayo ingredients and use to top burgers