Butternut squash chunks add a hint of sweetness to this spicy and comforting chana masala.
Hello 2017! Oh, and hello readers! I haven’t been posting much lately, having taken a bit of a break for the holidays, which, I can’t even really call a break, because I actually had lots going on. I still have lots going on, and it’s all good, but life is definitely calming down, so I should have more time to post in the coming year. Truth be told, I’m pretty darn excited about the coming year. I’ll tell you a bit about it soon, but for now, let’s get right down to food!
I throw together some version of chana masala pretty often, and when I say “some version,” I mean something totally inauthentic that’s super easy and tastes good.
While butternut squash isn’t something you’d find in traditional chana masala, it goes pretty darn deliciously with all of the warming spices and hearty chickpeas. So maybe it should be? Just a thought!
Also awesome about the addition of butternut squash is that you can just throw it right in with your simmering curry. No extra pots, no extra roasting, and if you’re super lazy and buy the pre-cut squash, barely an extra step.
I know a lot of you guys are working on eating healthier this month, and I can’t think of a more delicious way to do so. If you’re looking to indulge (just a bit!), serve it alongside some homemade vegan naan.
Butternut squash chunks add a hint of sweetness to this spicy and comforting chana masala. Serve it with rice or naan for a hearty and healthy vegan meal.
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1-3 tablespoons garam masala (see note)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cups (1/2 inch) diced butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds, or half of a medium squash)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro
- cooked rice
- vegan naan
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, serrano pepper, garam masala, coriander, and cumin. Sauté about 1 minute more, until very fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, broth and butternut squash to the pot. Give everything a stir, raise heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide onto plates and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve with rice and/or naan.
I used three tablespoons of garam masala in my batch, and loved it. That might be a lot for some people though. If you're not sure, start with 1 tablespoon and add more to taste when it's all done cooking.